Monday, April 9, 2012

Low-Carb Baked Zucchini Fries


You know what they say about March; in like a lion, out like a sleeping lion. I guess I blinked too long because I am not sure where that month went. And with the beginning of spring I feel as if I’m entering a completely new era or at least a new year. Which also means a new list of resolutions. I am going to spend more time outside (today doesn’t count. Since I went from the subway to the office to the subway to making a plan to run to putting on running shorts to deciding to watch 30 Rock and the Colbert Report instead. Laughter is some form of exercise?)

I also plan to learn how to cook low-carb, low-sugar meals that still taste delicious. My boyfriend has type 1 diabetes. And though he is as skinny as a hipster in Brooklyn, counting carbs only helps the situation. Plus a challenge will be good for me (see missing month of March). And if I can make my favorite foods without all the sugar, I will consider myself accomplished. These zucchini fries only have about 13 grams of carbs per serving. For carb perspective, half an Oreo cookie equals a full serving of zucchini fries carb-wise. The zucchini fries also make a delicious stand-in for their deep fried potato counterparts.

Baked Zucchini Fries
adapted from myrecipes
yields 4 servings
about 52 grams of carbs total, about 13 per serving

1 ½ slices whole wheat bread (about 21 grams of carbs total)
½ teaspoon garlic salt (negligible)
1 teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning (negligible)
2 zucchini (about 12 grams of carbs for both squash)
1 egg white (negligible)
1/4 cup whole milk (about 3 grams)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (about 16 grams)
Olive Oil (0 grams of carbs!)

  1. Preheat oven to 425°. Tear bread into small pieces sprinkle with garlic salt, oregano or Italian seasoning. Bake for about 2 to 5 minutes or until dried and golden brown. Let cool. Crush breadcrumbs until resemble coarse cornmeal.
  2. Cut zucchini into thin sticks. Roughly about 3 to 4 inches in length.
  3. Whisk egg white in small bowl till frothy. Add milk.
  4. Combine parmesan and seasoned breadcrumbs in a medium bowl. Scoop a small portion into a separate bowl.
  5. Dip zucchini sticks into egg mixture, and then roll in the smaller bowl/portion of the breadcrumb mixture. The breadcrumb mixture will quickly turns goopy. Once it becomes too messy to handle and will not stick onto zucchini sticks, dump used breadcrumbs and scoop out a new portion of mixture.
  6. Coat a baking sheet generously with olive oil, and place breaded zucchini on sheet.
  7. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment